- Student enrolls in “technology” middle school.
- Student brings harmless science fair homemade motion detector to school.
- Vice Principal (who obviously knows nothing about science or technology) panics, locks down school.
- Vice Principal then decides to evacuate the school and calls San Diego Fire-Rescue.
- The Metro Arson Strike Team robot examines and X-rays the “device” and it is found to be “harmless.”
- Officials are then sent to student’s home to look for explosives and hazardous materials after the device is found to be “harmless.”
- Officials then graciously decline to “prosecute.” Instead, the student and parents will get “counseling.” “The student will not be prosecuted, but authorities were recommending that he and his parents get counseling, the spokesman said. The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said.”
The entire article is here. We seem to have regressed a great deal in our approach to students interested in science since the days of the Rocket Boys and the inspirational teacher who encouraged them, Miss Riley.